As governments across Canada announce plans for the re-opening of their economies, many employees will want to continue to work remotely for various reasons and employers are considering whether a temporary employee remote work arrangement can or should be transitioned into a permanent one. In this COVID-19 Employment Update, we will discuss the following topics relevant to employers across the country as they consider the legal and practical considerations and risks associated with remote work arrangements:
- Lessons learned from remote work during COVID-19;
- Factors to consider when deciding whether to extend remote work arrangements;
- How occupational health and safety obligations apply to remote work;
- Human rights issues, including the duty to accommodate; and
- Strategies for managing performance of remote employees.
Bonny Mak（麥嘉欣 )
Lorene A. Novakowski *